August 15-18, 2017*
To be held in conjunction with the APA World Pool Championships at the Westgate Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
*Event dates subject to change
Rules for Participation
- Tournament slots are obtained from your Local League Operator.
- Teams entering this Event can be any combination of men or women, with up to a maximum of 4 players allowed on the roster. Teams choose any 3 of the 4 team members to participate in each match. There is no skill level limit.
- Players may only participate on one team.
- Players must be from the same League area.
- If players are participating on a Masters Division roster, they must have at least ten 8-Ball and/or 9-Ball scores. (A combination of scores from the two formats is allowed.) Masters Division players who do not have ten 8-Ball or 9-Ball scores must have 10 matches played in the Masters Division or any combination of 10 scores/matches between 8-Ball, 9-Ball and Masters. All scores and/or matches must be within the last year by the entry deadline of June 23, 2017.
- If players are not participating on a Masters Division roster, they must have at least twenty 8-Ball and/or 9-Ball scores. (A combination of scores from the two formats is allowed.) Players who do not have twenty 8-Ball or 9-Ball scores must have 20 matches played in the Masters Division or any combination of 20 scores/matches between 8-Ball, 9-Ball and Masters. All scores and/or matches must be within the last two years by the entry deadline of June 23, 2017.
- Players must have played at least four times in the Spring Session in the League area the team represents. Matches played can be in either the standard 8-Ball or 9-Ball format or on a Masters Division.
- Players must be on an active (Summer Session) APA roster in any 8-Ball or 9-Ball format or on a Masters Division roster.
- APA U.S. Amateur rules and format apply, with the exceptions listed in these rules. Please consult your Official APA Masters Rules to review both 8-Ball and 9-Ball game rules.
- 100% Payback of entry fees goes to the top 25% of the field. There will be no refunds to entrants who are disqualified for any reason, including no-shows.
- Maximum field is 256. (Size of board will be based on number of entries.)
- Coaching is not allowed. (No time-outs.)
- Matches will not be postponed due to participation in multiple events.
- Sudden Death will be implemented 2 hours and 30 minutes into a match. The rack must be struck in the 3rd individual match by the 2-hours-and-30-minutes mark, or all subsequent matches become a race to two games.
- Race-to-7 (8 games of 9-Ball and 5 games of 8-Ball).
- Players will earn one point for each individual match won. The first team to win 2 out of 3 matches wins the team match.
- A forfeited individual player match is worth 1 point.
- Players start by lagging. The winner of the lag has the choice of game (8-Ball or 9-Ball) or the break. Once the format has been chosen, the entire set of that format must be completed before moving to the next format; or 7 games have been won.
- Whoever wins the lag is listed first (on top). List team number, last name and first initial (from the team roster).
- A player has won the game in 8-Ball when all the balls of his numerical group have been pocketed, and he has legally pocketed the 8-ball in a properly called pocket without scratching. Note: You cannot play the 8-ball at the same time you play the last ball of your category. The 8-ball must be a separate shot.
- On the shot immediately following a legal break in 9-Ball, the shooter may play a push-out. On a push-out, the cue ball is not required to contact any object ball or any rail. The player must announce his intention of playing a push-out before the shot, or the shot is considered to be a normal shot. Any ball pocketed on a push-out does not count and is spotted. Following a legal push-out, the incoming player is permitted to shoot from that position or to pass the shot back to the player who pushed-out. A push-out is not considered to be a foul as long as no rule is violated. An illegal push-out is penalized according to the type of foul committed.
- The Masters scoresheet has a separate box created for each game. Indicate who won the game by marking an “X” in either the upper or lower block. The upper block is for the player listed first (on top) and the lower block is for the opponent.
- The total number of games won by each player is recorded in the “Score” block.
- Indicate who won or lost the match with a “W” or “L” in the “W-L” block.
Showdown Series General Rules
- Modified Single Elimination.
- There is an enforced casual dress code. Any player that the APA considers inappropriately dressed will be asked to change.
- In order to conduct a fair and equal tournament for all APA players, APA must ensure that all participants are playing at skill levels that are not below their true ability. Accordingly, the APA may disqualify any team if, in APA’s sole judgment and absolute discretion, one (1) or more of its players are deemed by APA to be playing at a skill level below their true ability. The determination of whether a player is playing at a skill level below their true ability is necessarily subjective; APA is the sole judge of a player’s ability and may make such a determination in its absolute judgment and discretion. (DOES NOT APPLY TO MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIP.)
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- Any player entering or participating under fraudulent circumstances will be disqualified.
- APA has the absolute and final authority to make all rulings affecting participation in the APA Showdown Series Championship programs, including player ability (i.e., correction of skill levels) and disqualification. Disqualification from this event for any reason will mean forfeiture of all titles, awards, prize money, and minimum two year suspension from the League. Disqualification can occur prior to, during, or after the event.
- The APA has the authority, at its sole discretion, to make modifications to the rules, format, or any other aspect of the Event.
- Release of APA and Tournament Sponsors: I, the participant, being of lawful age, as inducement for and in consideration of the agreement by American Poolplayers Association, Inc. (APA), that I may take part in this Event, hereby covenant and agree that the APA and all other sponsors and their respective affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents (collectively Releasees) shall not be liable for any damages arising from personal injuries, including death, and/or damage to property that I may sustain in any way which result from or arise out of my preparation for or any participation in the Event. I hereby fully and forever release and discharge and covenant not to sue Releasees from any and all claims, demands, damages, rights of action or causes of action, present or future, whether the same be known or unknown, anticipated, or unanticipated, resulting from or arising out of my preparation for or participation in the Event. I acknowledge and agree that participation in the Event may involve the risk of such personal injury, including death, and/or damage to property, and I hereby assume full responsibility for any risk of such personal injury, including death and damage to property. I warrant that I am in good health and have no physical condition that would prevent me from participating in the Event. I further agree for myself, my successors, heirs, assigns, executors and administrators to indemnify and hold Releasees harmless from and against all claims and suits for personal injuries, including death, and damage to property, real or personal, caused by my act or omission and arising out of my involvement in the Event, and from all judgments and costs recovered in said claims and suits, and from all expenses incurred in defending said claims or suits. This Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by law, and if any portion is held invalid, the balance shall continue in full legal force and effect. This Release shall be binding on my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns. I have read and fully understand the above Release.
- Recording and Reproduction: I consent to the taping (audio and video), and/or photographing of my participation in this Event, and grant the APA and all other sponsors the right to use and reproduce my name, voice, and likeness in any and all photographs and video reproductions taken or made of myself for any purpose whatsoever. I release the APA and all other sponsors, their employees, agents, successors and assigns from any liability whatsoever for such use and reproduction of my name, voice, and likeness. I agree that the photographs, videos and any sound tracks taken or made of me are the exclusive property of the APA and/or all other sponsors, and I waive any right of inspection or review.
- If this Event is cancelled, for any reason, I understand that my only remedy is a refund of my entry fee.
- Roster changes will not be accepted at the tournament site in Las Vegas.