American Poolplayers Association – Remote
As the World’s Largest Pool League, American Poolplayers Association (APA) has a unique business model that brings the people who are passionate about pool together with those who want to be social and have fun into a perfect mix of sports-themed entertainment. Only under our exceptional system can people from all backgrounds and skill levels, from total beginner to semi-professional, compete in the game of pool and have fun.
Our offices are located in Lake Saint Louis, MO, right on the lake. We have a very relaxed atmosphere to work in and we believe in a healthy work/life balance. The APA is a family owned and operated business. The sense of family is very strong given that the average tenure of our employees is 10+ years.
About the Position:
While the APA has used technology for decades, our in-house development team is just a couple of years old and we’re growing it slowly and methodically to ensure proper fit of everyone we ask to join our team. We have a mix of legacy(VB.Net/SOAP) and modern(C#/WebAPI, React/GraphQL/Meteor/Node.js) applications that need support and enhancement as well as a backlog of new applications that need to be built.
The technologies we use:
- ASP, VB.Net ← This is what we’re hiring for
- C# WebAPI using EF, StructureMap (New Restful API)
- Node.js, React, Meteor, GraphQL(Apollo, Sequelize)
- SQL Server, Redis and Memcached (Data storage and caching)
- Anything new that looks cool, sexy and can solve a need
- Have fun and work hard
- Work through our backlog of application issues and enhancements
- Bring ideas to our team for ways to improve the stability and performance of our legacy applications
- Solve problems and deliver solutions with speed and grace
- Be a team player and work on whatever project needs you (We are a small team where egos are not tolerated)
You’re a seasoned Microsoft developer. VB.Net probably isn’t your favorite language in the world, but it doesn’t scare you. You might even have experience converting VB code to C#. You’ve experienced the progression of Microsoft technologies: ASP → ASP.Net, the early days of the .Net framework, the rise of MVC and SOAP, SOAPs fall to Rest, etc. You love a challenge. You enjoy taking the old and making it new in a slow, steady, and methodical manner. You realize that the most successful way to replace any legacy application is to do it in chunks and you realize that making it new and shiny comes second to making it work better for its users. Odds are high that you have jumped on the bandwagon of Angular and Typescript (we use React and are just now dabbling with Flow) and it wouldn’t surprise us if you’re a Microsoft MVP or have been at some point in your career. Oh, and you are VERY comfortable with T-SQL, specifically in the form of very large and nasty Stored Procedures.
You have experience with many of the following (listed in order of importance):
- Highly knowledgeable in building web-based applications with the following technologies: VB.Net and C#, ASP and ASP.Net, SOAP Services
- Experience with 3rd party controls such as Telerik, Peter Blum, and Crystal Reports Viewer.
- T-SQL Ninja
- Bootstrap, HTML5, CSS3 and LESS, SASS, JCSS, etc.
- Working knowledge of Version Control such as Git or Mercurial
Perks of working for APA:
- We close our offices between Christmas and New Years
- We have a flexible work from home accommodation for our St. Louis based workers
- We embrace remote personnel and have developed a culture that supports remote work
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $45.00 to $60.00 /hour
- Software Engineering: 10 years
Required work authorization:
- United States