As the World’s Largest Pool League, American Poolplayers Association (APA) has a unique business model that brings the people who are passionate about pool together with those who want to be social and have fun into a perfect mix of sports-themed entertainment. Only under our exceptional system can people from all backgrounds and skill levels, from total beginner to semi-professional, compete in the game of pool and have fun.
Our offices are located in Lake Saint Louis, MO, right on the lake. We have a very relaxed atmosphere to work in and we believe in a healthy work/life balance. APA is a family-owned and operated business and the sense of family is very strong given that the average tenure of our employees is 10+ years.
About the Position:
While the APA has used technology for decades, our in-house development team is just a couple of years old and we’re growing it slowly and methodically to ensure proper fit of everyone we ask to join our team. We have a mix of modern technology such as Node, React, React-Native, and Apollo GraphQL as well as legacy technology such as VB.Net.
The technologies you will use:
- Apollo Server / GraphQL (Federated across multiple environments)
- React Native (Pure Typescript / React Hooks Codebase)
- Apollo Client / GraphQL (used in our React/React-Native Codebases)
- React web-based application (Using webpack + SSR)
- Anything new that looks cool, sexy and can solve a need
Other technologies we use:
- ASP VB.Net (legacy apps being supported while we retire them)
- VB.Net Soap Services (legacy SOA tier being supported while we retire them)
- C# WebAPI using EF, StructureMap (Restful API)
- SQL Server and Redis (Data storage and caching)
Examples of existing projects and opportunities include:
- Data-rich/responsive website for our customers with stats, schedules, standings, player profiles, and social-media-driven content
- Opportunities to learn and use platforms like React/Node.js, Cordova/PhoneGap and XCode/Swift to develop and deliver mobile apps
- Custom solutions for our International Tournaments held in Las Vegas (The World’s Largest according to Guinness World Records)
- Electronic scoring and payment systems to take full advantage of the mobile-revolution
- Work together with our back-end team to help add value to the support of our existing projects and make them shine
- Have fun and work hard
- Work closely with the in-house team of Creative and Operational leaders to craft solutions and bring amazing ideas to fruition
- Solve problems and deliver solutions with speed and grace
- Be a team player and work on whatever project needs you (We are a small team where egos are not tolerated)
You’ve been a software developer for a handful of years but what’s really important to us is what you’ve learned and what you’ve done. You are aware of what you know and don’t know, but that doesn’t stop you from tackling the hard problems with great enthusiasm, actually the more impossible the task, the more determined you are to find a solution. However, you understand when to call for help, when to ditch an idea and pivot to something different. You know when to push back on a requirement and ask for more clarity. You stay current on tech. You love what you do and are passionate about creating great software (or at least you dream of being on a team that wants you to do so). You may have a Comp Sci degree, but you may just have stumbled into software development and found that you had a knack for it. You know your craft and you may have even squealed a little inside when the word “craft” was used to describe software development. You have worked on an Agile Development team before and understand Sprints, User Stories, and Story Point estimation. If not, you just googled “Agile Development” to learn more because that’s just who you are.
You have experience with some of the following (listed in order of importance):
- Bootstrap or Material UI, HTML5, CSS3, etc.
- GraphQL, specifically the Apollo implementation.
- Production application experience with Cordova
- Working knowledge of Version Control such as Git or Mercurial
- Experience with VB.Net, C#, MVC and/or ASP.Net (our API is C# WebAPI and legacy apps are in VB.Net)
Perks of working for APA as a contractor:
- We can supply any hardware that you need
- Everyone gets the time between Christmas and New Years off
- You can work from anywhere you want
No agencies, we’re only interested in individuals or individuals acting as their own agent.
Job Type: Full-time
- software development: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- United States (Required)
- Fully Remote
- Monday to Friday
Company’s Facebook page: